Friday, March 5, 2021

How's Your Heart

 Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139.23


During a regular physical checkup, my doctor said she wanted me to have an EKG. After reading the results, she made an appointment with a cardiologist and they did discover a heart condition. To better understand my heart's condition, I had to wear a Holter monitor for 14 days. Every time I had an "episode", I would push a button and the device would record what was going to in my heart.

Without my doctor and medical technology, I would not have been aware that I had a problem with my heart! When King David prayed "Search me, 'O God, and know my heart!',
he was not asking God to discover something that God was totally unaware of because God knows all our hearts.

David was asking God to reveal to him the true condition of his own heart. No one can truly understand their own heart. "The heart is more deceitful than anything. It is incurable— who can know it? Jeremiah 17:9 The Bible uses the word "heart" over 1,000 times, so apparently, God thinks it is important.

This is a dangerous prayer and should not be prayed unless you are prepared to receive what God has found!

Above all else, guard [monitor] your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take care to have knowledge about the condition of your flocks, looking well after your herds. Proverbs 7:23  The context of this verse is o...