Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Sipping Saints

 


Some Christians think it is perfectly fine to drink alcohol, while others believe it is sinful to partake. Which view is correct?

Alcohol consumption is a tough topic because it is associated with both joyful and tragic situations. People go to weddings and special events and see those in attendance lifting glasses of champagne in celebration. Try finding a Super Bowl party where alcohol isn’t part of the festivities.

On the other hand, everyone reading this most likely knows someone who has been hurt in some way because of alcohol. You may live with an alcoholic or know someone who does. You may know a family whose relative has died in an accident caused by the consumption of alcohol.

What does the Bible have to say about the topic of alcohol use? Alcohol is not evil in itself. It is one of God’s good gifts that can be—and often is—abused (Psa. 104:14–15) For Christians, the use of alcohol generally falls between those who totally abstain and those who drink in moderation. There are verses to support both views, allow me to share why I abstain from alcohol use. I do not condemn or judge those who do drink in moderation. But allow me to share why I do not use alcohol:

  1. Christians are called to be good stewards of the resources God has given us. I personally cannot support companies that sell alcohol as it destroys people's lives and families. I know that me refusing to purchase alcohol will not affect those companies' profits, but I must give an account of my stewardship.

  2. The Bible calls for us to live in such a way as to leave a good testimony to an unbelieving world. Someone who knows I profess to know Christ, may see me purchasing alcohol and think I may drink to access. I may only one or two beers a week, but they don't see that. Romans 14:21

Believers who feel it is safer not to drink any alcohol have the freedom to abstain. Those who choose to drink alcoholic beverages must always do so responsibly doing no harm to others or themselves. We should always seek to bring honor to the Lord in all our activities. 1 Corinthians 10:31



No comments:

Post a Comment

Take care to have knowledge about the condition of your flocks, looking well after your herds. Proverbs 7:23  The context of this verse is o...