Friday, December 10, 2021

Dark Night of the Soul


I wish I could say I was perfect, but I am not. When I think I have it “all together”; I find I don't. As hard as I try to serve Christ; I often fail. Recently, I found myself spinning my “spiritual” wheels. That is when I pray, I don't really feel connected. When I read Scripture, I get no new revelation. The harder I try to serve God; the more distant He seems.

I have been a Christian long enough to know that my relationship with Christ is not always a 'mountain top' experience. As in all relationships, there are highs and lows. I thoroughly enjoy the 'high' moments, but I dread the 'low' moments.

As an amateur Church historian, I remember reading the biographies of many notable Christians: Charles Spurgeon, Protestant reformer Martin Luther, 18th century Missionary to the Native Americans David Brainerd, and most notable was Mother Theresa and those are just a few that have struggled with spiritual lows. I should take comfort to be included in their number. But I still don't like where I am at.

I think if we were all honest, we have all struggled with what has been called “The Dark Night of the Soul.” For some of us, these times might just be several days. For others, it might be months. Some of the “greats” of the faith struggled for years.

The purpose of this blog is to encourage transparency among the Body of Christ. (Myself included) Galatians 6:2 says, “Help carry each other's burden...” If you hide the fact that you are struggling spiritually, no one can help you through your struggle. So, find someone with whom you can be open and share your struggle. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Take care to have knowledge about the condition of your flocks, looking well after your herds. Proverbs 7:23  The context of this verse is o...