Thursday, September 14, 2023

Focus Power

 Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! Psalm 42:5

When I pastored my first church, I had an elderly man in my church, Grandpa Oakie, who had a way with words. Once when he was going through a difficult place in his life, he said, "I feel lower than a snake in a wheel track." (That's pretty low.) He was describing an emotion that most of us have experienced.


In the movie, The Karate Kid, Mr. Miyagi is teaching Daniel, his student, how to successful in mastering karate. When Daniel cannot master a certain technique Mr. Miyagi tells him his problem is lack of focus. He says, "Focus Power, Daniel San." Quit focusing on yourself. 

Discouragement is focusing on the situation rather than focusing on God (Our power).  David said, "I will put my hope (focus) in God." Discouragement comes when we focus on our inability to overcome our situation.  David said in Psalm 56:3 "when I am afraid (or discouraged), I put my trust (or focus) in you. 

So, if you are discouraged today, ask yourself where is my focus


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take care to have knowledge about the condition of your flocks, looking well after your herds. Proverbs 7:23  The context of this verse is o...