Saturday, July 11, 2020

Don't Just Listen


I think we all have, from time to time, left a worship a service where a sermon was preached and said something along the line, "I did not get anything from that message." That got me to thinking, why didn't we? I am sure there are many reasons but allow me to share just two. 




1. I once heard a preacher say he believed that God has something for everyone attending that service. That "something" may be different for each person. It may be just one verse that was read. It could be just one sentence or word that was spoken. If we believe God is Sovereign, and He is, everything is under His control including what transpires in that service. "The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives." Ps 37:23 NLV 

2. I think that we are so preoccupied with other things that when we come to church we have little [if any] expectations that God will speak to us. Matthew 11:15 says, "Let anyone who has ears listen" It is like when we are having a serious "talk" with your son and you can tell he is hearing the words but he isn't really listening and you say, "Do you understand what I am saying? The goal of the "talk" isn't just hearing words spoken but the goal is a change in behavior.

So, the next time you come to church, come with the expectation that God has something to communicate with you personally. Don't just listen; hear!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Take care to have knowledge about the condition of your flocks, looking well after your herds. Proverbs 7:23  The context of this verse is o...